Niger Govt. alerts communities over cracks in Kangimi Dan

The Niger State Government has confirmed reports of cracks on the Kangimi Dam in Kaduna State, warning that the development could lead to heavy water spill and pose a risk to communities in Niger State, Abuja and other parts of the country.

The state Ministry for Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management, however, urged residents, particularly those living near riverbanks and other potentially affected areas, to remain calm and vigilant while authorities and technical experts assess the situation.

The ministry disclosed this in a statement issued on Wednesday and signed by Habibu Wishishi, Director of Media and Strategy.

According to the statement, the ministry became aware of the reported cracks through an online magazine, Farhan, prompting the Commissioner for Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management, Dr Ahmed Ib Inga, and other officials to commence investigations.

The ministry said its officials engaged residents around the dam, members of the Fisheries Association, hydrologists and other professionals to verify the report and assess the potential risks associated with the development.

It confirmed that the report was genuine and accurate, describing the situation as a serious concern.

The ministry, however, said hydrologists, engineers, architects involved with the dam and other technical experts were already at the site assessing the extent of the damage and working towards possible permanent repairs.

It assured residents that it would continue to monitor the situation and liaise with the professionals handling the repairs, while providing updates, particularly to communities located near riverbanks and other potentially vulnerable areas.

The ministry also said relevant agencies and other critical stakeholders in Niger State had been placed on alert and were prepared to issue early warnings, sensitise residents and provide information on measures to prevent or minimise the impact of any potential disaster.

It added that, if necessary, the government would take all appropriate measures, including relocating communities, to protect lives and property.

The ministry urged residents to remain calm and await further official information while maintaining vigilance and complying with any safety directives that may be issued.