A routine post-election visit turned chaotic on Wednesday when heavily armed assailants opened fire on Governor Ademola Adeleke’s convoy outside the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo.
Fresh from receiving his re-election Certificate of Return at the INEC headquarters, Adeleke arrived at Oba Jimoh Oyetunji’s palace around 3:15 p.m. with a 20-vehicle entourage.
Just as the governor exited his meeting with the traditional ruler, gunfire erupted, forcing his security detail into a tense 12-to-15-minute exchange to secure the area.
According to an eyewitness who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said Adeleke and his entourage were received by Oyetunji, where the governor reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the monarch.
The eyewitness said trouble started as the meeting was winding down after the monarch had offered prayers.
According to her, Adeleke had already left the hall through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives when the shooting started.
She said: “He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.
“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene.”
