DSS warns of planned terrorist, bandit attacks on Sokoto schools

 

 

The Department of State Services (DSS), Sokoto State Command, has warned of intelligence indicating plans by terrorists and bandit groups to attack tertiary institutions across the state.

The agency said the planned attacks could involve the abduction of students, lecturers, non-academic staff and their family members.

The warning was contained in a security alert dated August 18 and addressed to the Sokoto State Government. A DSS source confirmed the development.

According to the alert, intelligence available to the security service indicates that criminal groups may be shifting their focus from primary and secondary schools to universities and other tertiary institutions.

The DSS described the development as a serious threat to the education sector, given the large concentration of students, academic and non-academic staff and their families around tertiary institutions.

The agency warned that the reported plans went beyond the possible abduction of individuals, suggesting that the attacks could form part of a wider strategy to disrupt academic activities, spread fear and undermine public confidence in the government’s capacity to protect citizens and critical institutions.

The DSS further cautioned that any successful attack on tertiary institutions could have serious consequences for the education sector and Nigeria’s international image, while worsening the insecurity already disrupting education in some parts of the country.

READ ALSO; Court remands Gani Topba in DSS custody over defamation, cyberstalking charges

The intelligence agency urged the Sokoto State Government and relevant security authorities to immediately strengthen security around universities and other tertiary institutions across the state.

It stressed the importance of proactive security measures, rather than waiting for criminal elements to launch attacks before responding.

The DSS said relevant security and emergency response agencies had already been alerted to the emerging threat and urged them to deploy appropriate countermeasures to prevent any planned attacks.

It also called for coordinated action among security agencies, the state government and the management of tertiary institutions to safeguard students, staff and critical educational infrastructure.

The service urged the Sokoto State Government to treat the alert with urgency and take decisive steps to reinforce security arrangements around institutions of higher learning.

The warning comes amid continuing concerns over attacks on educational institutions in parts of northern Nigeria, where criminal groups have previously targeted schools for mass abductions.

The latest alert underscores the need for heightened vigilance around tertiary institutions, particularly those located in areas considered vulnerable to terrorist and bandit activity.