FG takes action on Enugu Air runway excursion in Benin


The Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau (NSIB) has commenced an investigation into Thursday’s runway excursion involving an Enugu Air aircraft at Benin Airport, Edo State, pledging to determine the cause of the incident and recommend measures to prevent a recurrence.

The incident involved an Embraer E170 operated by Enugu Air on Flight 4264 from Lagos to Benin. The aircraft veered off the runway after landing, but all 63 passengers and five crew members on board safely disembarked without injuries or fatalities.

The occurrence has attracted the attention of aviation regulators and industry stakeholders, with authorities moving swiftly to secure the aircraft and begin investigations.

NSIB deploys investigation team

In a statement issued on Friday, the NSIB said it immediately activated its emergency response protocol by deploying its Go Team to Benin Airport shortly after receiving notification of the runway excursion.

According to the bureau, investigators have commenced the process of preserving evidence while carrying out interviews with the flight crew and other relevant personnel connected to the operation.

The team is also examining the aircraft, inspecting runway conditions and reviewing operational, maintenance and technical records to establish the sequence of events that led to the incident.

The bureau added that the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) and other airport authorities had been notified in line with standard aviation procedures, while the aircraft has been secured pending the outcome of the investigation.

Runway excursions require thorough investigation

Director-General of the NSIB, Alex Badeh Jr., described the safe evacuation of everyone on board as encouraging but stressed that every runway excursion must be treated as a serious aviation occurrence.

“We are relieved that all passengers and crew members are safe and that no injuries were reported. While this is reassuring, every runway excursion is a serious occurrence that deserves a thorough and independent investigation,” Badeh said.

He disclosed that investigators arrived at the airport within minutes of being alerted to the incident, describing the rapid deployment as evidence of the bureau’s preparedness and professionalism.

“Our Go Team was on the ground within minutes of notification, and that speed of response reflects the readiness and professionalism of our investigators. We urge the public to refrain from speculation as our investigators carry out their work in accordance with international standards,” he added.

Preliminary report due in 30 days

The NSIB assured the public that the investigation would be conducted in line with both Nigerian regulations and international aviation standards.

According to the bureau, a preliminary report will be released within 30 days as required under aviation regulations.

It added that a comprehensive final report containing its findings, conclusions and safety recommendations would be published after the investigation has been completed.

The agency also appealed to airlines, airport operators and other aviation stakeholders to cooperate fully with investigators to facilitate a thorough and transparent process.

Enugu Air confirms incident

Earlier, Enugu Air confirmed that one of its aircraft experienced a runway excursion after landing at Benin Airport.

The airline said all passengers and crew members were safely evacuated and that there were no injuries or casualties.

It explained that the aircraft had been secured while relevant aviation authorities were notified immediately after the occurrence.

Enugu Air also warned that the incident could lead to temporary adjustments to some of its scheduled flights as assessments of the aircraft continue.

Although the airline initially referred to the incident as a runway incursion, aviation experts classify an aircraft leaving the runway after landing as a runway excursion.

Operations disrupted at Benin Airport

The incident also affected flight operations at Benin Airport, with Air Peace announcing the temporary suspension of flights to and from the airport until the runway was declared safe for normal operations.

The airline apologised to affected passengers, describing the disruption as beyond its control while airport authorities worked to restore flight services.

The NSIB explained that its responsibility is to conduct independent investigations into air accidents and serious incidents to identify probable causes and recommend safety improvements.

The bureau emphasised that its investigations are not intended to apportion blame or determine civil or criminal liability but to enhance aviation safety and prevent similar incidents in the future.

With investigations now underway, the aviation industry will be awaiting the bureau’s preliminary report, which is expected to provide the first official insight into the factors that contributed to the runway excursion at Benin Airport.