Wike Orders Demolition of Houses Blocking Abuja Waterways

K


KEY POINTS


  • Wike orders immediate demolition of houses blocking Abuja waterways.
  • Buildings in Maitama and other flood-prone areas are targeted.
  • FCT agencies are also directed to desilt drainage channels across the city.

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has ordered the immediate demolition of buildings obstructing waterways and stormwater channels in Maitama and other flood-prone parts of Abuja.

Wike gave the directive on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, during an inspection of areas affected by recent flooding in the nation’s capital.

The minister said the demolition exercise would begin immediately and continue until Saturday, stressing that the enforcement would not be suspended because of political considerations or the status of property owners.

He insisted that buildings constructed on designated waterways must be removed to restore the proper flow of rainwater and reduce the risk of further flooding.

‘No One Will Be Spared’

Wike warned that neither political influence nor social status would protect property owners whose buildings were found to be obstructing waterways.

He said some of the affected properties belonged to influential Nigerians, including serving and former political office holders.

“Whether there’s election or there’s no election, all those houses will go down,” the minister said, maintaining that the government would enforce planning regulations regardless of who was affected.

Wike added that the fact that some of the property owners were prominent Nigerians would not stop the exercise.

The directive followed flash floods recorded in parts of Abuja after heavy rainfall.

According to Wike, inspections conducted by officials showed that several buildings had been erected directly on stormwater channels identified in the Abuja masterplan.

He explained that many of the structures were not recent developments, noting that some had existed for between eight and 10 years.

The minister said the situation demonstrated the need for stronger enforcement of development and town-planning regulations to prevent construction on areas designated for water drainage.

The FCT minister attributed the flooding to a combination of natural and human factors.

He cited climate change, construction on waterways, blocked drainage systems, indiscriminate dumping of refuse and inadequate supervision of property developments as some of the major causes.

Wike directed relevant FCT agencies to immediately begin desilting drainage channels across Abuja as part of efforts to improve the movement of stormwater.

He also appealed to residents, traders and other members of the public to stop using drainage channels as dumping grounds.