US lifts 12-year security restriction on Nigerian vessels, boosts maritime outlook

 

 

The United States has lifted the 12-year Condition of Entry imposed on Nigerian vessels arriving at US ports, a move expected to reduce security-related costs, improve vessel turnaround and strengthen Nigeria’s competitiveness in international shipping.

The Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Adegboyega Oyetola, announced the development on Tuesday in a statement shared by the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA).

The US Coast Guard imposed the Condition of Entry in June 2014 after raising concerns about Nigeria’s compliance with international maritime security standards at some port facilities.

Oyetola described the removal of the restriction as a major milestone for Nigeria’s maritime sector, attributing it to sustained efforts by the Federal Ministry of Marine and Blue Economy, NIMASA and other stakeholders to improve maritime security and compliance with the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code.

The minister commended NIMASA Director-General, Dayo Mobereola, and other stakeholders for their role in securing the lifting of the restriction.

The Condition of Entry had subjected vessels calling at non-exempt Nigerian ports to additional security requirements before proceeding to the United States.

READ ALSO; Adeyanju slams Wike over Abuja floods, alleges waterway encroachment

Among other measures, affected vessels were required to operate at heightened security levels while in Nigerian ports, guard access points, attempt to execute a Declaration of Security and report security measures to the relevant US Coast Guard authorities before entering US waters.

The 2014 restriction followed the US Coast Guard’s determination that certain Nigerian ports did not maintain effective anti-terrorism measures. The concerns included weaknesses in legal frameworks, regulatory oversight, access control and cargo security.

However, several Nigerian facilities, including terminals in Apapa, Bonny, Escravos, Forcados, Onne and Tin Can Island, were exempted from the restrictions.

Maritime analysts said the removal of the restriction could improve Nigeria’s attractiveness to international shipping operators by eliminating some of the additional compliance burdens previously associated with Nigerian port calls.

They noted that lower security-related costs, improved schedule reliability and faster vessel turnaround could enhance the competitiveness of Nigerian ports and strengthen confidence among international carriers.

The development comes as Nigeria records stronger port activity. Cargo throughput rose 11.6 per cent year-on-year to 32.38 million metric tonnes in the first quarter of 2026, while ocean-going vessel gross registered tonnage increased 19.5 per cent to 46.75 million.

Outward cargo also rose 23.7 per cent to 14.13 million tonnes, while outward laden containers increased 67.6 per cent to 102,803 TEUs.

Analysts said the US decision, combined with ongoing port infrastructure investments, could further support the sector’s growth.

Nigeria is pursuing several port expansion and modernisation projects, including developments at Snake Island, Apapa, Tin Can Island and Lekki Deep Sea Port.

Industry observers said sustained improvements in security, automation, cargo handling and clearance efficiency would be critical to ensuring that the removal of the US restriction translates into long-term gains for Nigeria’s maritime economy.