The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has ordered the immediate demolition of houses and other structures obstructing waterways in Maitama and other flood-prone areas of Abuja.
Wike gave the directive on Tuesday after inspecting areas of Maitama affected by flooding following days of heavy rainfall in the nation’s capital.
He directed that the demolition exercise commence immediately and continue until Saturday, stressing that neither political considerations nor the status of property owners would stop the enforcement action.
According to him, structures found to be obstructing waterways and drainage channels must be removed to restore the free flow of stormwater and tackle the causes of recurring flooding in the city.
The directive comes after torrential rainfall submerged parts of Abuja, leaving residents stranded and vehicles trapped in floodwaters.
Lere Olayinka, media aide to the FCT minister, confirmed the commencement of the exercise in a statement on Tuesday.
“Demolition operations have commenced in Maitama, Abuja, following the directive by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, to remove buildings obstructing waterways across the FCT,” Olayinka said.
He added that Wike had vowed that structures found on water channels would be demolished between Tuesday and Saturday as part of efforts to address flooding and restore the city’s drainage systems.
The minister’s directive comes after alleged alterations to drainage channels and green areas in Maitama Extension, where floodwaters reportedly submerged several properties.
Residents of the area alleged that a major canal that previously served as a natural route for stormwater had been covered to make way for construction.
They claimed that several duplexes were subsequently erected around the affected area, leaving surrounding properties vulnerable whenever there is heavy rainfall.
Among properties reportedly affected by the flooding are the residence of Kano State Deputy Governor, Murtala Garo, and that of a former Inspector-General of Police, Solomon Ehigiator Arase.
One resident alleged that as many as 14 duplexes were constructed on what residents described as a former green area and canal corridor.
“They covered a very big canal. And this is the result,” the resident said while pointing to the floodwaters that spread across the neighbourhood.
Another resident expressed concern over the impact of the flooding on families living in the area, saying, “It is putting our family in danger.”
“We are just heartbroken,” another affected resident added.
On her part, the FCT senator, Ireti Kingibe, attributed the renewed flooding in Abuja to ongoing construction and development activities on green spaces, flood channels, gullies and floodplains under the administration of Wike.
Kingibe said the developments had obstructed natural waterways and drainage channels, leaving rainwater with limited outlets during heavy downpours.
The senator, who spoke on ARISE NEWS on Monday, criticised what she described as a departure from Abuja’s original master plan.
According to her, she had repeatedly raised concerns with relevant FCT agencies over construction activities in areas designated as drainage corridors, green spaces and other environmentally sensitive locations.
“Absolutely. Some of the developments sanctioned by the current FCT administration are indeed heightening the flood risk in Abuja,” Kingibe said.
