Jigawa boat mishap death toll hits five

The death toll from the boat mishap in Malamawa Yandutse, Ringim Local Government Area of Jigawa State, has risen to five, as emergency responders continue search and rescue operations for passengers still missing after the tragic accident.

The victims were among an estimated 30 to 40 passengers travelling in a boat that capsized at about 12:45 p.m. while crossing a waterway in the community.

Although the exact number of people on board has yet to be confirmed, 15 passengers have been rescued alive, while five bodies have so far been recovered, with rescue teams continuing efforts to locate those still unaccounted for.

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said it received a distress call at about 9:11 p.m. on Sunday and immediately activated its emergency response mechanism, deploying an Emergency Response Team from its Kano Operations Office to the scene on Monday morning to reinforce the ongoing operation.

According to the agency on Monday, the search and rescue effort is being coordinated in collaboration with the Jigawa State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), the Jigawa State Fire Service, the Local Emergency Management Committee (LEMC), local divers, community volunteers and other relevant stakeholders.

NEMA said preliminary findings suggest that possible overloading and adverse weather conditions may have contributed to the accident, although investigations are still underway to determine the exact cause of the boat mishap.

The agency assured that rescue operations would continue until all the missing passengers are accounted for and said further updates would be provided as more information becomes available.