Breaking

Prince Harry loses bid to have Murdoch claims included in trial

By Jimisayo Opanuga

21 May 2024   |   12:07 pm

Prince Harry and other high-profile figures on Tuesday failed in a bid to have direct claims against Rupert Murdoch included in their unlawful information-gathering case against his UK publishing arm. Harry is one dozens of claimants taking News Group Newspapers (NGN) to court over allegations they were repeatedly targeted by journalists and private investigators working…

Britain’s Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, arrives to the Royal Courts of Justice, Britain’s High Court, in central London on June 6, 2023. – Prince Harry is expected to take the witness stand as part of claims against a British tabloid publisher, the latest in his legal battles with the press. King Charles III’s younger son will become the first senior British royal to give evidence in court for more than a century when he testifies against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN). (Photo by HENRY NICHOLLS / AFP)

Prince Harry and other high-profile figures on Tuesday failed in a bid to have direct claims against Rupert Murdoch included in their unlawful information-gathering case against his UK publishing arm.

Harry is one dozens of claimants taking News Group Newspapers (NGN) to court over allegations they were repeatedly targeted by journalists and private investigators working for The Sun tabloid.

High Court judge Timothy Fancourt ruled last month that the lawsuit against Murdoch’s British tabloid publisher can proceed to a potential trial next year.

But on Tuesday he rejected requests for new allegations that 93-year-old Murdoch had direct knowledge of unlawful practices to be included in the case.

Fancourt said he had “refused permission for new allegations against Rupert Murdoch personally and some other senior executives, on the basis that these add nothing to the allegations already made against other senior executives at NGN and its parent companies”.

Other claimants in the case include filmmaker Guy Ritchie, several former senior politicians and the campaigner Doreen Lawrence, whose son Stephen was murdered in a racist attack in London in 1993.

Actor Hugh Grant last month settled his claim against NGN, saying he wanted to avoid a potential legal bill of millions of pounds.

NGN, which denies accusations of illegal activity, said the claim had been settled “without admission of liability” and that it was “in both parties’ financial interests not to progress to a costly trial”.

The case is one of several Harry has brought against UK newspaper publishers.

Harry, the younger son of King Charles III, this year settled a long-running lawsuit against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) after alleging its journalists were linked to deceptive and unlawful methods, including phone hacking.

The prince, who quit the royal frontline and moved to the United States in 2020, is also bringing legal action against Associated Newspapers, publisher of the Daily Mail and the Mail on Sunday.

NOW

Prince Harry and other high-profile figures on Tuesday failed in a bid to have direct claims against Rupert Murdoch included in their unlawful information-gathering case against his UK publishing arm. Harry is one dozens of claimants taking News Group Newspapers (NGN) to court over allegations they were repeatedly targeted by journalists and private investigators working…

22 mins ago

The International Congress and Convention Association (ICCA) has ranked Nigeria 14th among African nations as a destination for important meetings held in 2023. This data comes from the recently released 2023 ICCA Business Analytics Country and City Rankings Report. The report, based on submissions from ICCA members, details over 10,000 meetings that took place throughout…

1 hour ago

Bandits in large numbers reportedly attacked a Plateau community, Zurak village, in the Bashar District of Wase Local Government Area, killing more than 40 people, including vigilantes. According to residents of the community, the incident happened on Monday, 20 May 2024, around 5 pm. The residents said they could not immediately report the attack due…

1 hour ago

The military has handed over 350 people rescued in Sambisa forest to the Borno Government for rehabilitation and reintegration. Speaking at the handing over on Monday in Maiduguri, Deputy Theatre Commander, Joint Task Force North East Operation Hadin Kai, Maj.-Gen. Kenneth Chigbu, said they were rescued during the 10-day clearance operation in Sambisa. “The people…

1 hour ago

The Taraba Youths and Women Mobilization and Awareness Movement (TAYOWOMAM) voiced its concern over the rampant proliferation of illegal weapons and the adverse effects of substance abuse among youths in Taraba state and Nigeria at large. During a summit titled ‘Campaign Against Crime and Drug Abuse’ held in Jalingo, Taraba state, the group’s President, Autan…

2 hours ago

U.S. President Joe Biden has rejected accusations against the Israeli leadership that it is committing genocide in its fight against Palestinian militant organisation, Hamas in the Gaza Strip. “Contrary to allegations against Israel made by the International Court of Justice, what’s happening is not genocide. We reject that,” Biden said. On Monday, International Criminal Court…

2 hours ago

A lightning strike has injured ten people in the eastern German city of Dresden with four of whom sustained severe injuries. According to a fire service spokesman, two men, aged 27 and 30, were successfully resuscitated after experiencing cardiac arrest. Amid severe weather conditions and a passing thunderstorm in Dresden, lightning struck the group on…

2 hours ago

The Imo State Police Command has arrested a former Special Duties Adviser to the state governor, Hope Uzodimma. The state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Henry Okoye, announced that Nwaneri was arrested along with Emmanuel Ezeanochie, the president of the Imo State Amalgamated Markets and Traders Association (ISAMATA). An investigation is currently underway, and further…

2 hours ago

Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant described as “despicable” Tuesday a push by the International Criminal Court’s prosecutor for warrants to arrest him and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for alleged war crimes in Gaza. “The attempt made by the ICC prosecutor, Karim Khan, to turn things around will not succeed — the parallel he has drawn…

2 hours ago

More than 14,000 people have been displaced in recent days from Ukraine’s eastern Kharkiv region, where Russia launched a ground offensive on May 10, the World Health Organization said Tuesday. The assault has seen Russian forces achieve their largest territorial gains in Ukraine in the last 18 months. “Over the past two weeks, fighting in…

The post Prince Harry loses bid to have Murdoch claims included in trial was agrregated on Nigeria Newspapers Online.