World

Death of teen who ate a spicy chip has experts rethinking capsaicin and its effects

240516 paqui ch 1220 5d9693

The tragic death of a Massachusetts teenager who collapsed after eating an extremely spicy tortilla chip last year may prompt both doctors and food manufacturers to take a closer look at the ingredient that provides the punch — capsaicin.


Harris Wolobah died in September at age 14 from cardiopulmonary arrest “in the setting of recent ingestion of food substance with high capsaicin concentration,” according to a statement released Thursday by Elaine Driscoll, a spokesperson for the Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security.


He had consumed a chip manufactured by Paqui that was packed with the chili pepper extract and marketed as the “One Chip Challenge.”


Paqui pulled the chips, which came individually wrapped and in a coffin-shaped container with a skull on the front, from shelves after Wolobah’s death.