Breaking

Lagos task force impounds 35 vehicles, demolishes shanties

da demolition scene

The Lagos State Task Force has impounded 35 vehicles for illegal parking and road obstruction along the Jibowu corridor in the Yaba area of the state.

The task force’s spokesperson, Gbadeyan Abdulraheem, in a statement on Thursday, said the operation took place on Wednesday and was coordinated by the agency’s chairman, CSP Shola Jejeloye, who described the actions of some transport operators as “self-cantered” for occupying a large portion of the road to load goods on their vehicles and pick up passengers.

 According to Abdulraheem, Jejeloye disclosed that residents and commuters who ply the route complained of the activities of the bus operators at Jibowu “who converted those areas to roadside courier stations and mini garages.”

 “It is sad to see these transport operators move their business from their premises down to the main road meant for free vehicular movement just for their selfish gains.

“Their actions cause increased travel time and unnecessary chaos once it gets dark,” the statement quoted Jejeloye as saying.

 The chairman further disclosed that the vehicles impounded had been booked and the owners would be made to face the full wrath of the law.

 “It’s high time we put a stop to this inhumanity to Lagosians plying that route. We will ensure constant patrol and monitoring of the Jibowu corridor especially at night when such infractions usually occur and make sure anyone caught inflicting unnecessary discomfort to road users is arrested and charged to court,” he added.

Meanwhile, officials of the Lagos State Task Force on Thursday demolished shanties and makeshift structures around the Lekki-Epe area.

The operation was carried out around Ikota, Eleganza Bus Stop.

According to a post on X (formerly Twitter), the shanties and makeshift structures defaced the expressway and were also said to be dens of criminals in the area.

Officials of the task force were said to have faced opposition from some individuals who initially stalled the operation.

When contacted, the task force Public Relations Officer, Abdulraheem, confirmed the operation which he said targeted only shanties that were against the “New Lagos status.”

He said, “Given the agenda of the state, we don’t want that kind of thing in New Lagos mega city status, shanties were demolished, not buildings.”